Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

He spoke, and it came to be...




This morning I went in to wake Cooper up to get him to school. He sat up, pumped his fist in the air, and proclaimed, "He spoke, and it came to be!" (Psalm 33:9)

I had to giggle because it was so adorable. See, the night before we had rushed through his Cubbies homework for tonight's Cubbies program. We usually go through his homework a little at a time, all week long, but for some reason, this week I didn't start until last night. Such is parenthood and a busy schedule.

Let's back up. Cooper attends the Awana Clubs Cubbies program every Wednesday night. What Cubbies does for us is provide us with a handbook that we can turn to every week, which helps reinforce the teaching Cooper receives at the weekly program. The program mixes bible teaching and verse memorization with songs, games, snacks, and fun. Isabella was a cubbie when she was younger, and as there are many incredible Wednesday night church programs for our little ones, I believe that as parents we should try different ones to find the right fit for each kid.
Anyway, Cooper's early morning proclamation got me thinking today of something I read a long time ago, and something I learned from some old mentors:

What you allow into your mind is what will come out of your mouth.
Think about this for a minute. The things we talk about typically reflect what we allow ourselves to think about. It reflects the programs we watch, the books or magazines we read, and the language of the people we surround ourselves with.

I also read somewhere that whatever you allow your brain to soak in before you go to bed is what your brain meditates on all night long. So it was of no surprise to me when Cooper said what he said this morning: "He spoke, and it came to be" (Psalm 33:9), as that was the bible verse that he was supposed to memorize for tonight's program. We worked and worked on it last night before bed. And I guess he has it memorized for tonight, and he'll get a sticker in his book for this achievement. It's the little things that make him happy.

As you think of the verse, think of how God spoke the whole world into existence. In the beginning, God said, "Let there be light" and there was light. That is how powerful God is. And as joint-heirs with Christ, our words are powerful too.

Our words shape our world, our attitude, our daily life. And now, I'm even more aware of my words, because not only are they shaping my life, they are shaping Cooper's and Isabella's life as well.

So I keep plugging away, filling both of my kids brains with those things that are true, noble, right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable... anything excellent or praiseworthy... God wants us to think about those things (Philippians 4:8). And my prayer for them is that if I can get their mind right, get it focused on what God would want them to do or say, then the words they speak will be pleasing, uplifting, encouraging, and a blessing to others.

I refuse to put my kids in a bubble. They are going to hear things at school, hear things on TV, that I wouldn't want them repeating. They are going to school with children that are being raised differently than them, where different words, phrases, behaviors, or mindsets may be permissible in their families, but not in ours. And that is ok! As long as at the end of the day, we can talk about different situations, and how we, as Christ followers, would handle them, it's ok! As parents, if we take the responsibility of diluting the negative of the world with the positive in the Word, I think we'll be pleasing God. It's a constant battle, but one that is worth fighting.

"He spoke, and it came to be". When I speak, I pray that my words may be good ones. Because if I really believe God, and what we speak, comes to be, I hope I'm speaking good things. I want good things to come to be, for our family and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment